Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Vacuum Packing 101

I don't know if I could have found a more ... deflating subject to write about. However, if you are new to vacuum packing you may find something helpful in this blog.

Why vacuum pack? How many times have you thrown some food item away because it became stale or moldy way before it's time. The cause of food going bad is humidity, oxygen, bugs and freezer burn. So, it makes sense that if you can remove the oxygen so mold and bugs cannot live in that environment and keep the humidity from infiltrating your food then it will stay fresh a lot longer.

I started out with an automatic Food Saver that I felt wasted too much of my vacuum bag. So, I replaced it with another Food Saver, Model - Game Saver Deluxe Plus that requires more handling and I love it. There are a lot of different models so pick one that you will be comfortable with and use.

I use the Food Saver Vacuum Bags that comes in a roll so you can control the size bag you need. I also use the Food Saver Canisters and Ball Jars.

For vacuum bags try to avoid food with sharp points, like, dent corn, wet food or food that can be crushed, like, crackers or cereal. It does not take much to poke a small hole in a bag so if that happens re-bag the entire bag that leaked but be sure to cut a slit in it with scissors so the air will be vacuumed from both bags. If you suspect something may poke a hole in your bag then put it in a paper lunch bag before you vacuum pack it.

If you must vacuum pack something that has moisture, like, fish then roll up a paper towel and cut it to fit inside your bag between your food item and the machine. The goal is to stop the moisture from reaching the seal point else your bag will not hold an airtight seal. You can also use the paper towel trick if you are vacuuming something gritty, like, sugar or grits.

If I am going to vacuum pack store bought items already in a bag, like cake mixes or pudding, I cut the instructions and description off of the box to put into the vacuum bag. I will also cut one slit in the bag being stored so the oxygen will be removed from it also. Vacuum packing essentially extends the expiration date by removing the oxygen.

When you lock the bag in place ready to be vacuumed, flatten out the contents before vacuuming. This makes the bag a lot easier to store.

And, if you do decide to vacuum pack something that can be crushed, when most of the oxygen has been removed and the crushing begins, simply stop the vacuum process and seal the bag.

I have even heard of people vacuum packing their ammo.

There is a place on the bag to write a description, recipe (for rice it might be  '1CR 2 CW' for 1 cup of rice and 2 cups of water), quantity (for bulk rice or beans I note how many cups are in each bag) and date (I only write the MMYY when I vacuum packed it).

I use the Food Saver canisters for meal leftovers and block cheese. I connect a hose between the machine and canister to remove the oxygen. To use, you simply break the seal, use what you need and reseal the canister. We have not thrown away cheese since we started this practice.

I use Ball Jars from Pint size to half a gallon to store darn near anything. Crackers, cookies, cereal, potato chips, dry beans, etc, etc & etc. I use the small and wide mouth attachment for jars. It's amazing how fresh and crisp food stays when oxygen and moisture is not present. A new use for the jars is to store fruit like grapes, cherries and bananas. Fruits, such as grapes, will last 4 - 5 times longer than normal by removing the oxygen. Do not wash the fruit until ready to eat. To use, it is the same as above for the canister.

Good luck with your vacuum packing.





3 comments:

  1. You have shared very nice information about the vacuum packing in this article. I really enjoyed to read this article and get some interesting information about the vacuum packing that can be helpful for me.

    emballage sous vide

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vacuum pack at Alter Pack is one of the leading manufacturer and distributors of packaging machinery such Roll stock forming and Cup filling and sealing machine Film for thermoforming at Alter Pack




    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the post but the point you make is a good one. packaging vacuum

    ReplyDelete